Shortbread Thumbprints with Bittersweet Ganache
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar (optional)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 10-ounce package Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in half-and-half until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into an 8x7-inch rectangle. Cut into 1-inch squares and shape each square into a 1-inch ball. If desired, roll balls in coarse sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. (If an indentation puffs up during baking, re-press with the end of a wooden spoon.) Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- Meanwhile, for ganache filling, in a medium saucepan, bring the whipping cream just to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips; do not stir. Let stand for 5 minutes; stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes before using. Spoon about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each cookie.
- Enjoy immediately, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Write Your Own Review