Ghirardelli Mini Chocolate Chip Cakes
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, melted and slightly cooled
- 5 Tbsp heavy cream
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12 x 17-inch rimmed baking pan with nonstick spray and line the pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture). Toss chocolate chips with reserved flour mixture and gently fold in.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, until the top and edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, chill the cake for 20 minutes in the refrigerator. Carefully lift the parchment to remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Use a 2 1/2 inch round cutter lightly coated with nonstick spray to punch out 24 circles.
- FROSTING: Beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add sifted cocoa, beating until incorporated. Mix in vanilla. Mix in 2 cups powdered sugar on low speed, scraping down bowl as needed. Mix in melted chocolate chips until combined, then mix in remaining 2 cups powdered sugar. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add heavy cream until combined. Beat frosting on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until light and airy.
- ASSEMBLY: Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large closed or open star tip. Pipe frosting over each round (both layers). Stack one frosted round over the other.
Write Your Own Review