Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookie with Peppermint Bark
Servings: dozen cookies
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Case of 12 Bags)
- 1 cup (8 oz.) cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (about 10 1/4 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% Unsweetened Ground Cocoa (about 1 oz.)
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Optional for decoration: 1 (12-oz.) pkg. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips; or 1 (10-oz.]) pkg. Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips; Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark, sparkling sugar, or gold sprinkles
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer* fitted with a paddle attachment on low speed just until blended and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. With mixer running on low speed, gradually add flour and cocoa, and beat until dough comes together, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in chocolate chips on low speed until just combined.
- Divide dough in half, and roll each half into a compact 2-inch-thick log (about 8 inches long). Wrap each log in parchment paper or plastic wrap, and freeze just until firm (but not frozen solid), about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove cookie dough logs from freezer, and unwrap. Using a sharp serrated knife and a sawing motion, cut cookie dough into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. (If rounds crumble slightly, press dough back together.) Place rounds on prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake, 1 baking sheet at a time, in preheated oven until firm, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets, about 20 minutes.
- To decorate, place 1 (12-oz.) pkg. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 1 [10-oz.] pkg. Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips) in a medium-size microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 1 minute, stirring at 30-second intervals. Dip each cookie halfway into melted chocolate, and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle cookies with 4 oz. chopped Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark, sparkling sugar, or gold sprinkles. Refrigerate until chocolate has set, about 15 minutes.
- Note: If you don’t have a stand mixer and prefer to use a hand mixer, use room temperature butter, bake the full 18 minutes, and leave on baking sheets to cool.
Ghirardelli Chocolate In This Recipe
More Recipes For You
Write Your Own Review