Classic Dark Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) Butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Boiling water
- 1 bag (10 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE or CUPCAKE - Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottoms of two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients Granulated Sugar, All Purpose Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt. Add Milk and Butter; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the Eggs and Vanilla Extract. Mix until incorporated. Stir in boiling water.
- Divide the batter evenly between two prepared pans. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discard the parchment paper, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes: Fill liners 2/3 full with batter (yields 24); or fill 1/2 for smaller cupcakes (yields 30). Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks. Frost cupcakes once completely cooled.
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING - Melt chocolate in a double boiler; stir occasionally until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa and boiling water. Let both the chocolate and the cocoa mixture cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate on low speed, and then beat in the cocoa mixture.
Write Your Own Review