Dark Chocolate Dulce De Leche Sandwich Cookies (Alfajores) Recipe
- 11.25 oz can Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup Ghirardelli 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chips
- 8 oz Butter, Non-dairy
- 2 tbs Coconut Butter
- 3 tbs Cocoa Powder, Dutch Process
- 2/3 cups Coconut Sugar
- 4 oz Ghirardelli 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chips
- DULCE DE LECHE: Pour the sweetened condensed coconut milk into a large nonstick pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and very thick, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer dulce de leche into a shallow bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Dulce de leche can be made up to 2 weeks in advance, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- COOKIES: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add flour, coconut sugar, and Ghirardelli 72% Cacao Baking Chips to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine and roughly chop chocolate. Add non-dairy butter alternative and coconut butter to the dry ingredients and process, using long pulses, until a dough starts to form and no large pieces of butter remain.
- Turn out dough onto a large sheet of parchment paper and knead a few times until dough comes together. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll dough to 1/4". Cut dough with a 2" round cookie or biscuit cutter. Re-roll and repeat with dough scraps. Cut out a small hole in the center of half the rounds using a mini cookie cutter or piping tip (these will be the top of the sandwiches). Freeze for about 10-15 minutes.
- Arrange chilled cookies 1" apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until cookies are dry to the touch and firm.
- Carefully re-cut the centers of the cookies with the mini cookie cutter or piping tip if necessary. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- ASSEMBLY: Once cookies are cool and dulce de leche is chilled, spoon a teaspoon of dulce de leche onto the surface of one solid cookie, then sandwich with one cut-out cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies, then chill dulce de leche sandwich cookies for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle alfajores cookies with melted chocolate on a diagonal, stopping before you get to the center cut-out, and place on a clean sheet of parchment paper to allow chocolate to set completely. Serve alfajores sandwich cookies. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Write Your Own Review