Devil's Food Cake with Sinful Chocolate Frosting
12 to 16 servings
10 ounces 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
6 ounces Milk Chocolate Baking Bar
1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup sour cream
- If you like a very tall layer cake, double all of the ingredients for four layers instead of two.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Butter the bottoms and sides of two 9 by 2-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment paper.
- To make the cake, in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt together 4 ounces (1 bar) of the bittersweet chocolate, butter, sugar, and corn syrup, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Gently mix in the melted chocolate mixture. Add in the eggs, vanilla, and milk and beat with a spoon until well blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 29 minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks. When cool, turn out of the pans. While the cake is cooling, make the frosting.
- In the top of a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the remaining 6 ounces (1 1/2 bar) bittersweet and milk chocolates, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove from the heat. Beat in the sour cream. Spread one-third of the frosting on top of one cake layer, then set the second layer on top.
- Use the remaining frosting to spread over the top and sides of the cake. Let sit in a cool spot, but do not chill in the refrigerator. This cake is best if enjoyed within 4 days of baking.
1 case containing 6 pouches
Assorted Chocolate Bag of SQUARES for Gifts 80 pc