Mini Chocolate Cinnamon Buns
2-1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
5 tablespoons butter, melted & divided
1 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips, divided
1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk and butter. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together. Transfer mixture to a lightly floured surface and knead until dough becomes smooth (dough will be sticky at first).
- Make filling: Finely chop 1/2 cup Ghirardelli® Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and combine with sugar, butter and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well.
- Roll out dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle and spread with filling, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Gently press into the dough. Roll lengthwise so you have a 12-inch long log and cut into 12, 1-inch pieces.
- Grease a mini muffin tin and place each cinnamon roll in a space. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on high for 20 seconds. Stir and continue to heat in 15- to 20-second increments, stirring each time, until melted and smooth. Beat cream cheese in a mixer until creamy. Add chocolate and confectioners’ sugar and beat until fluffy and combined. Spread or pipe frosting on top of mini cinnamon rolls and serve immediately.
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes