Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
8 to 10 servings
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, very soft but not melted
2 tablespoons flavorless vegetable oil (such as canola or safflower)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cool water
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease the pan thoroughly.
- If using a round cake pan, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt for 60 seconds on low speed with the electric mixer.
- Add the butter, eggs, oil, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Beat on low speed just until all of the dry ingredients are moist.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons water and beat for 20 seconds on medium speed. Scrape the bowl and add the remaining 3 tablespoons water.
- Beat for 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake 35-40 minutes (do not open the oven for the first 30 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (except for melted chocolate chips).
- Set the pan on a rack to cool for ten minutes.
- Invert the cake onto rack (turn the round cake right side up) to cool completely.
- Serve plain or glaze with Ghirardelli Semisweet Chocolate Glaze or Ghirardelli Brown Sugar Cocoa Glaze.
- Store and serve at room temperature.