Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Mousse and Peppermint Bark
Servings: 18 cupcakes
- 1 11-ounce bag Ghirardelli Classic White Baking Chips
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut up
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 18 Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark SQUARES
- For white mousse, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine Ghirardelli Classic White Baking Chips, whipping cream, and cream cheese.
- Cook on medium power (50 percent) for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds. If white chips are not melted, return to microwave and repeat heating step, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid scorching. Stir until smooth.
- Cover and chill for 3 hours or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line eighteen 1 1/4 inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- For batter, in a small bowl, stir together flour, Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar; beat on medium speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg, food coloring, and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar; stir into batter.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool in cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from cups and cool completely on a wire rack. (Make-Ahead Tip: Unfilled cupcakes can be made up to 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. To serve, fill as directed above.)
- When cupcakes are cool, beat white mousse with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy.
- Spoon mixture either into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, or spoon into a large self-sealing plastic bag and snip off the corner.
- Insert pastry bag into top of each cupcake; squeeze as much filling into center of each as possible (you will see top of cupcake start to expand).
- Pipe a small amount of mousse mixture onto the top of each cake. (If using a plastic bag without a pastry tip, cut a slit into the top of each cupcake before squeezing in filling.)
- Adorn frosted cupcakes with Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark SQUARES.
- Enjoy immediately or chill in an airtight container for up to 4 hours.
Write Your Own Review