Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Servings: 12 Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 5/8 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar, broken or chopped into 1-inch pieces (for the frosting)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup(s) Ghirardelli Milk or Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- To make the cupcakes, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Whisk in the milk, coffee, and melted butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, filling them about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a small spatula or knife, remove the cupcakes from the pan.
- Continue to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- To make the frosting, melt the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl, over barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Heat the cream until hot. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate. Transfer to a bowl and cool to just warm.
- Whisk in the butter until smooth. Let sit until it reaches a spreading consistency, about 1 hour.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle them with chocolate chips. Can be substituted with 1 cup of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.
Write Your Own Review