Dark Chocolate-Cherry Crème Brûlée
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir 1/2 cup of the half-and-half and Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips over low heat just until chocolate is melted. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1 1/4 cups half-and-half. Bring to simmering. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, the 1/3 cup sugar, kirsch or vanilla, and salt just until combined. Slowly whisk hot chocolate mixture into egg mixture.
- Place six 5 to 6 ounce broiler-proof ramekins in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Divide cherries and the chocolate mixture evenly among ramekins. Place baking dish on oven rack. Pour enough boiling water into baking dish to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until mixture is set (centers will shake slightly). Carefully remove ramekins from water; cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Let custards stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Sprinkle tops of custards with the 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a culinary blow torch, heat until sugar is melted. (Or, if you don't have a torch, broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 5 minutes or just until sugar begins to melt; watch carefully so the sugar does not burn). Serve immediately.
Write Your Own Review