Chocolate Swirl Brioche
Servings: 2 loaves
- 10 ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 9 large eggs
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coarse brown sugar crystals
- In small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast; let sit about 5 minutes or until foamy.
- In mixer with paddle, mix flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and salt on low speed until blended. Add yeast mixture; mix on medium speed until combined.
- Whisk together 8 eggs.
- With mixer on medium speed, slowly add eggs to flour mixture until combined.
- Replace paddle with dough hook; on medium speed, add butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Knead with dough hook 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding up to 1/4 cup flour if dough is too sticky.
- Transfer dough to greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise at room temperature about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Cut dough in half; form each piece into a ball.
- Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out each piece into an 8- x 14-inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle chocolate over dough.
- Roll each rectangle into a log, starting from one of the short sides; place seam-side down in greased 8 1/2- x 4 1/2- x 2 1/2" loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise about 1 hour or until dough reaches rim of pans.
- Beat remaining egg; brush tops of loaves with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 375°F oven 30 to 40 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Turn out onto rack; cool completely before cutting.
Write Your Own Review