Chocolate Almond Cookies
Servings: 24 cookies
- 2-1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup slivered almonds, finely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 16 ounces (2 cups) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- For cookies: Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine flour, almonds, and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, add butter and 1 cup sugar and blend well. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined. Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 3 days.
- Roll out 1 ball of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut out 24 circles with a 2-1/2 inch cookie cutter or glass (or heart-shaped cookie cutter). Cut out a 1 inch circle from 12 of the circles. You should end up with 24 "bottoms" (full circle) and 24 "tops" (ring). This should use up all of your dough (you can also reroll scraps).
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until pale golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 3 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling: Heat heavy cream over medium heat until near boil. Remove from heat and add Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and cover. Let the mixture sit for 1 minute and then whisk until smooth. Let sit for about 5 minutes until cooled and slightly thickened to a spreadable consistency. Spread 1 large teaspoon of chocolate filling over cookie "bottoms." Dust "tops" with remaining confectioners’ sugar and place on top of chocolate filling to make cookie bites.
Write Your Own Review