Devil's Food Cake with Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar
- 2 tablespoons Boiling water
- 2 teaspoons Granulated instant coffee
- 2/3 cup Butter, softened
- 2 cups Confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- CRUST: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with waxed paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground chocolate, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add 1 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of butter. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the pans, discard the waxed paper, and transfer them to the wire rack to cool completely.
- FROSTING: Melt the chocolate (broken into 1-inch pieces) in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is smooth.
- Dissolve the instant coffee granules in the boiling water.
- Stir the coffee mixture into the chocolate, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the remaining 2/3 cup butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Frost the cake.
Write Your Own Review