Black and White Macaroons
Servings: 48 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Pre heat the oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt; continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff but not dry. Fold in the coconut and 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, 1 to 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle the cookies with the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the surfaces begin to crack.
- Cool completely before removing the cookies from the foil. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- Humidity has an adverse effect on meringues. For best results, make this recipe on a day with low humidity.
Write Your Own Review