10 ounces 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
1 cup chopped nuts
1 1/3 cups sugar
6 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 quart ice-cream (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, coconut)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream whipped with 4 teaspoons sugar
2 pints raspberries, blackberries or strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 225°F with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment; trace a 10 inch circle on each.
- In a food processor, pulse the chocolate, nuts, and 1/3 cup of sugar until fine. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until it holds a soft shape. Beat the remaining sugar in gradually (taking 1 1/2 minutes) until stiff and glossy. Fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Divide and spread the batter evenly in the circles.
- Bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours, rotating pans after 1 hour.
- Cool in a turned off oven.
- Wrap meringues airtight until needed.
- Soften ice cream 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator, or microwave in 10-second bursts, until pliable but not melting. Spread the ice cream on one meringue.
- Top with the second meringue and twist it gently in place to avoid breaking. Freeze.
- To serve, spread or pipe cream on top and garnish with berries. To shorten omit cream of tartar. Omit the minutes for adding sugar, etc.