Ice Cream Meringue Torte with Berries and Cream
- 10 ounces 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 quart ice-cream (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, coconut)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream whipped with 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 pints raspberries, blackberries or strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
Preheat oven to 225°F with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment; trace a 10 inch circle on each.
In a food processor, pulse the chocolate, nuts, and 1/3 cup of sugar until fine. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until it holds a soft shape. Beat the remaining sugar in gradually (taking 1 1/2 minutes) until stiff and glossy. Fold in the chocolate mixture.
Divide and spread the batter evenly in the circles.
Bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours, rotating pans after 1 hour.
Cool in a turned off oven.
Wrap meringues airtight until needed.
Soften ice cream 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator, or microwave in 10-second bursts, until pliable but not melting. Spread the ice cream on one meringue.
Top with the second meringue and twist it gently in place to avoid breaking. Freeze.
To serve, spread or pipe cream on top and garnish with berries. To shorten omit cream of tartar. Omit the minutes for adding sugar, etc.