Chocolate caramel cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese frosting and Bourbon Caramel Square
Cupcakes:1/4 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa 1 10 oz Bag Ghirardelli Caramel Chips 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 large egg 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 1/2 cup granulated white sugar 5/8 cup whole milk 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter 12 Bourbon Caramel Squares Frosting: 4 oz soft butter 4 oz soft cream cheese 2 cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Ghirardelli Caramel sauce 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.
To make the cupcakes:
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Whisk in the milk, coffee, and melted butter.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Mix in Caramel Chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, filling them about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a small spatula or knife, remove the cupcakes from the pan.
- Continue to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
To make frosting:
- Mix together butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla and caramel sauce until thoroughly mixed.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at a low speed until well combined.
After cupcakes are cool, spread frosting on top of cupcakes. Drizzle more Caramel Sauce and place Bourbon Caramel Squares on top.