Flourless Mocha Torte
1 ½ bars (6 oz) Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars, broken into 1-inch pieces
1 tbsp. instant freeze-dried coffee
3 tbsp. boiling water
6 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
1 bar (4 oz) Ghirardelli Pure Milk Chocolate, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is smooth. Set aside.
- Dissolve the coffee in boiling water; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of the pans with waxed paper, and grease the waxed paper. In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer running, gradually add 1/3 cup sugar. Increase the mixing speed to high and continue beating until stiff peaks form. (The meringue should be shiny.)
- In another large bowl, whip the yolks, the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and the salt until thick and lemon colored, approximately 5 minutes. Slowly add the chocolate and coffee; beat until well blended.
- Gently fold ¼ of the egg whites into the yolk mixture to lighten it. Carefully but thoroughly fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake on the center oven rack for 25 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cake inside for 5 minutes with the oven door closed.
- Transfer the pans to a wire rack (the centers will fall). Remove the waxed paper while the cake is warm. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, melt the chocolate as directed for the cake. Dissolve the coffee in boiling water; add all at once to the chocolate, stirring continuously until smooth. Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream.
- To assemble the torte, level the top of each layer by cutting off the raised edges with a long serrated knife. Place one layer on a serving plate.
- Spread the layer with 1 cup of the chocolate whipped cream. Top with the remaining cake layer. Frost the top and sides of the torte with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle the top with chocolate shavings.