Black and White Macaroons
1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt; continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff but not dry. Fold in the coconut and 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, 1 to 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle the cookies with the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the surfaces begin to crack.
- Cool completely before removing the cookies from the foil. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- Humidity has an adverse effect on meringues. For best results, make this recipe on a day with low humidity.