For the chocolate base layer: 7 ounces (about 1 ¼ cups) Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips ½ cup unsalted butter 3 large eggs, separated ½ cup granulated sugar ½ cup almond meal ¼ cup all-purpose flour ½ teaspoon vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon almond extract ¼ teaspoon kosher salt For the strawberry mousse layer:3 tablespoons water 1 packet (.25 ounces) powdered gelatin 1 cup milk 4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar 4 ounces (approx. 5 or 6 large berries) fresh strawberries, hulled and finely chopped or pureed 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves Juice of ½ lemon Pinch of kosher salt 1 cup heavy whipping cream Drop of pink food coloring (optional) For the garnishes: 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream 2 ounces Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped 2 tablespoons light corn syrup 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped softly with ¼ cup powdered sugar 9 Ghirardelli Strawberry Bark SQUARES
To make the chocolate base layer:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, mist a 9x9-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray, and line it with parchment.
- Place the Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips in a small bowl, and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring, until melted and smooth.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, and whip until pale and doubled in volume.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the yolks, along with the almond meal, flour, extracts, and salt.
- Place the egg whites in a medium bowl and whip until they can hold stiff peaks.
- Fold the whipped whites into the chocolate mixture, a little at a time.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool completely, then top with strawberry mousse.
To make the strawberry mousse:
- Place the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top.
- Heat the milk in a small pot over low heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl, until pale and doubled in volume.
- When the milk is steaming, pour it into the yolk mixture in a slow, thin stream, while whisking.
- When all the milk has been added, transfer the mixture back to the pot and cook over low heat, whisking, until slightly thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the gelatin mixture, the fresh strawberries, strawberry preserves, lemon juice, and salt.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks, then fold into the strawberry mixture. Tint with food coloring, if using.
- Pour the mousse over the chocolate base, and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Place the cream, white chocolate, and corn syrup in a heat-safe measuring cup, and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the mousse.
- Allow the glaze to set, then cut into bars.
- Top each bar with whipped cream and a Ghirardelli Strawberry Bark Square.
In this recipe: