2-cup all-purpose flour3/4-cup sugar2 teaspoons baking powder2 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/2-teaspoon salt1 egg¼ cup brown butter1-cup whole milk2-teaspoon vanilla extract1/2 cup Ghirardelli Caramel ChipsFOR THE SAUTÉED APPLE PIECES1-tablespoon butter1 cooking apple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½ inch dice½ teaspoon ground cinnamon¼ teaspoon ground gingerFOR THE TOPPING1/2-cup brown sugar, packed1/4-cup quick cooking oats3-tablespoon butter, melted1/2-teaspoon ground cinnamon4-tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until the butter turns golden and smells nutty, 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Melt the butter on a medium heat while you add the spices, shortly followed by the apple pieces, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until golden, tender and fragrant.
- Whisk together egg, milk, brown butter and vanilla in another bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until just mixed. Fold in the apple and caramel chips.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups or greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle over the muffin batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
In this recipe: