Luscious Chocolate Ice Cream
4 ounces Ghirardelli 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and chocolate over medium heat, whisking frequently, until the chocolate melts and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Pour this hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture whisking constantly, then return the mixture to the pan. Heat over low heat to 170°F, or until the mixture coats a spoon, stirring constantly. Immediately strain into a bowl and whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool the mixture in the refrigerator or cool by setting in a bowl of ice, whisking frequently.
- Freeze in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions until the ice cream has the consistency of whipped cream. Transfer to a plastic container and store in the freezer.
- This ice cream is best if eaten the same day it is made. If it is frozen, let soften in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before serving.