Dark Chocolate-Cherry Crème Brûlée
1 3/4 cups half-and-half
1 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon kirsch or 1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir 1/2 cup of the half-and-half and Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips over low heat just until chocolate is melted.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining 1 1/4 cups half-and-half. Bring to simmering. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, the 1/3 cup sugar, kirsch or vanilla, and salt just until combined. Slowly whisk hot chocolate mixture into egg mixture.
- Place six 5 to 6 ounce broiler-proof ramekins in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Divide cherries and the chocolate mixture evenly among ramekins.
- Place baking dish on oven rack. Pour enough boiling water into baking dish to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until mixture is set (centers will shake slightly).
- Carefully remove ramekins from water; cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Let custards stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle tops of custards with the 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a culinary blow torch, heat until sugar is melted. (Or, if you don't have a torch, broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 5 minutes or just until sugar begins to melt; watch carefully so the sugar does not burn).
- Serve immediately.
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 35 minutes
Cool: 30 minutes
Chill: 2 hours
Stand: 20 minutes