Brown Sugar Cocoa Frosting or Glaze
1/2 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cups packed brown sugar, light or dark
1/4 teaspoons salt (scant)
1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Stir in the sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- Over low to medium heat, gradually stir in the cream.
- Continue to stir until the mixture is very hot and glossy.
- As soon as it starts to simmer at the edges, turn the heat down immediately and stir constantly without simmering for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- For frosting, cool until spreadable. Reheat as necessary by setting the containing in a bowl of hot water.
- For glaze or sauce, cool until thickened but still pourable. Put the sauce in the fridge for 5 minutes to speed up the cooling process for glaze.