Luscious Chocolate Ice Cream
4 ounces Ghirardelli 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and chocolate over medium heat, whisking frequently, until the chocolate melts and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Pour this hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture whisking constantly, then return the mixture to the pan. Heat over low heat to 170°F, or until the mixture coats a spoon, stirring constantly. Immediately strain into a bowl and whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool the mixture in the refrigerator or cool by setting in a bowl of ice, whisking frequently.
- Freeze in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions until the ice cream has the consistency of whipped cream. Transfer to a plastic container and store in the freezer.
- This ice cream is best if eaten the same day it is made. If it is frozen, let soften in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before serving.
You may also like ...