Chocolate Cupcakes with Gluten-Free Flour
These gluten free chocolate cupcakes are super rich and moist, with a silky chocolate ganache frosting.
- Start by making the ganache. Measure out the chocolate chips into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat when you see steam rising from the surface.
- Pour the warm cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the two ingredients together until it’s silky smooth. Place the ganache into the fridge to reach the perfect frosting constancy (about 30-45 minutes). Give it a good stir every so often so that it chills evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tray with 12 liners. The recipe makes 15 so if you have two trays, fill them accordingly.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and oil. It should look like wet sand. You can do so using a hand or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. This can also be done by hand.
- Mix in the melted chocolate. Once combined, mix in the eggs and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again.
- On the side, pour your milk into a measuring glass and add the vinegar.
- Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then the milk mixture, then the rest of the dry ingredients. You should be left with a smooth batter that isn’t too thin or too thick (see picture in post).
- Fill your cupcake liners only halfway, no more no less. If you fill them too high the cupcakes will sink in the middle.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- After about 5 minutes, transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
- At this point, your ganache should be thickened. It should be thick enough to hold its shape but easy to mix (see picture above). If it’s not there yet, keep it in the fridge until then.
- To frost, use a piping bag with a large closed star tip. Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before doing so.
- Using a peeler and a Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Baking Bar, shave some chocolate curls on top for extra decoration. Enjoy!
1 case containing 6 pouches
|1 cup||Gluten Free Flour, All Purpose (with xanthan gum*)|
|1/2 cup||Ghirardelli 100% ground cocoa powder, unsweetened|
|3/4 teaspoon||Baking powder|
|1/4 teaspoon||Baking soda|
|3/4 cup||sugar, granulated|
|1/4 cup||Brown sugar|
|1/3 cup||Coconut oil|
|2 oz||Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips|
|2||Eggs, large, room temperature|
|1 1/2 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|1/2 cup||Milk, room temperature (dairy or non-dairy)|
|1/2 teaspoon||Apple cider vinegar|
|8 oz||Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, melted, slightly cooled|
|1 cup||Heavy cream|
|1 bar, for chocolate curls||Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Baking Bar|
*If your flour doesn’t have xanthan gum, add 1 tsp of xanthan gum to the recipe.
**To melt, heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time. It should take about 90 seconds total.
Recipe and Photo Credit: @butternutbakery