Easter Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
15-18 minutes bake time
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 bag (10 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
3 tablespoons Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa
1/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line two muffin pans with paper liners; set aside.
3. Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed for one minute.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
6. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts alternating with the liquids; beat until combined after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the cups so that each is two thirds full. Bake rotating halfway until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
8. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
1. Melt chocolate in a double boiler; stir occasionally until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa and boiling water. Let both the chocolate and the cocoa mixture cool to room temperature.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate on low speed, and then beat in the cocoa mixture.
1. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Let frosting set for five minutes.
2. Decorate the cupcakes by placing a Ghirardelli Chocolate Square on top of the frosting.