1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
2 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with waxed paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground chocolate, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add 1 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of butter. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake's center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the pans, discard the waxed paper, and transfer them to the wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla.
- Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate