1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups whole milk
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and salt and whisk to thoroughly mix.
- In another bowl, whisky together the milk, egg yolks, and oil.
- Add to the flour and whisk gently until just combined.
- In clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric beater at medium speed until they form soft peaks. Fold into the batter and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Ladle one-third of the batter onto the center of the waffle iron.
- Close the top and cook until the waffle is crispy on both sides. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cooking time.
- Serve immediately.