- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more as needed
- 1 bag (10 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 3 tablespoons Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together flour, salt, sugar and butter on medium-low speed until a smooth dough forms, about 5-7 minutes. This dough depends a lot on the moisture content of the butter. If your butter is particularly dry, add more butter 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
- Chill in the refrigerator until dough is firm, about 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to ¼ inch thickness. Using a 2-½ inch square cookie cutter, cut out squares and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake rotating halfway through until shortbread is lightly golden, about 30-35 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler; stir occasionally until smooth. In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa and boiling water. Let both the chocolate and the cocoa mixture cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate on low speed, and then beat in the cocoa mixture.
To Assemble: Spread or pipe frosting on each cookie and top with a Ghirardelli Chocolate Square.