Chocolate Coconut Empanadas
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1-1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
1⁄3 cup Ghirardelli® Unsweetened Cocoa
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper (optional)
1 large egg
1-3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 teaspoon shortening
Sweetened flaked coconut, toasted* (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, Ghirardelli® Unsweetened Cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and, if desired, ground ancho chile pepper. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a spatula or wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and the 1/4 cup coconut.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time until about 1/8-inch thick.** Using a 3-inch fluted or plain round cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place circles on the prepared baking sheets. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in center of each circle. Lightly brush edges of the circles with water. Fold each circle in half; gently press edges to seal. Save dough scraps and re-roll, chilling dough, if needed.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine the 1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and the shortening. Microwave on medium power (50 percent) for 1 minute. Remove and stir. If chocolate is not melted, return to microwave and repeat heating step, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid scorching. Spoon chocolate mixture into a large self-sealing plastic bag. Snip off corner; drizzle chocolate over empanadas. If desired, sprinkle with toasted coconut. Let stand until chocolate sets. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze undecorated empanadas for up to three months. To serve, thaw; drizzle with chocolate and let stand until firm.
To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread coconut in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and shaking once or twice.
If the dough softens too much to work with at this point, transfer rolled out dough to a parchment or foil lined cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
Prep: 30 minutes
Chill: 2 hours
Bake: 8 to 9 minutes