Chocolate Brownies with Peppermint Bark
1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (12 tablespoons)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ chocolates, chopped into large chunks (for the brownies)
18 Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ chocolates, broken in to large chunks (about 8 pieces per square) (for the finishing)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil and grease with pan spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a gentle simmer.
- Put the 60% Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over (but not touching) the simmering water.
- Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until the better is melted and both ingredients are completely combined.
- Turn off the heat and leave the bowl over the warm water.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and whisk together gently.
- With a spatula, fold in the flour. Immediately pour ½ the mixture into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Next, sprinkle the chopped peppermint bark over the batter and then pour the remaining batter over this. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The center should be fudge-like but not dry.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place Peppermint Bark chunks on top of warm brownies and allow them to soften for 1 minute.
- Using a spatula, gently swirl the melting Peppermint Bark to create swirls of melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Trim the 4 edges of the brownies by 1/4 inch. Cut into 18 squares.