Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Full-time | Exempt
The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible to manage the Maintenance Department activities to ensure that all production and support systems are operated in a safe and efficient manner. The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for overseeing breakdown repairs, preventive and predictive maintenance and root cause analysis. This position is directly responsible for leading and developing the maintenance team. This position will report to the Maintenance Manager. Additionally, the Maintenance Supervisor will be responsible for resolving labor issues and ensuring that Ghirardelli’s policies are adhered to.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing and managing safety, quality and food safety on all product lines.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Fosters and maintains the safety culture that people matter and that all accidents can be prevented.
- Leads craftsmen engaged in maintaining and repairing the chocolate manufacturing equipment.
- Inspects completed work for conformance to blueprints, specifications, and OEM standards.
- Reviews production schedules and estimates craftsman labor requirements for completion of job assignments. Position will require a direct communication link with Production, Engineering, and/or Quality Assurance.
- Evaluates situations to minimize downtime and maximize efficiency.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew.
- Schedules work assignments for craftsmen on all three shifts.
- Communicates with oncoming and off-going shifts ensuring a smooth work transition.
- Analyzes and resolves problems, or assists craftsmen in solving problems to prevent reoccurrences.
- Responsible for training and upgrading skills of craftsmen on new equipment and/or procedures.
- Supports the Maintenance Coordinator in completing work orders and PM’s as needed.
- Understands and works within the Union contract.
- Maintain the Kronos time records and manage attendance issues, providing timely feedback when necessary.
- The Maintenance Supervisor will have the responsibility for the entire facility - Packaging / Processing; Moulding Lines; Facilities; Buildings and Grounds; Water Chillers; Glycol systems; Plant hot water systems; Boilers; Heat Trace Systems
- Oversees the parts inventory, critical spare parts, min/max of spare parts, bin locations and ordering with the Maintenance Coordinator.
- Project work, PM completion and Work Order completion are expected.
- Schedules and conducts inspections and audits as required.
- Requisitions tools, equipment and supplies.
- This position will also have additional duties which have not been outlined in this job description.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills*
- Ability to set priorities, be self disciplined and consistent*
- Ability to lead and develop direct reports*
- Ability to identify training needs and to define programs for training of operators*
- Ability to work effectively in a union environment*
- Good knowledge of food processing and packaging machinery preferred
- Strong computer literacy in MS Office and CMMS*
- May be required to have a valid California driver’s license and driving record must meet GCC standards
- Experience with high speed wrapping machines is preferred - ideally in a chocolate environment
Education & Work Experience
- BA Degree or 4 to 8 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience*
- Rare to Occasional ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Required work on weekends*
- Required to work an assigned day, swing or graveyard shift*
- Will be required to work other/off shifts as vacation/sick leave coverage *
- Will work in an office located inside of a unionized manufacturing facility; frequently spending time on the production floor*
- Interfacing with various manufacturing equipment and office computer equipment
- Regular communication with direct reports and internal and/or external customers
- Occasional to Frequent usage of verbal communication equipment (telephone, radio, cellular)
- Ability to travel to various locations or local travel to meetings *