Chocolate caramel cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese frosting and Bourbon Caramel Square
1/4 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
1 10 oz Bag Ghirardelli Caramel Chips
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
5/8 cup whole milk
1/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso
1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter
12 Ghirardelli Caramel Squares
4 oz soft butter
4 oz soft cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Ghirardelli Caramel sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.
To make the cupcakes:
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Whisk in the milk, coffee, and melted butter.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Mix in Caramel Chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, filling them about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a small spatula or knife, remove the cupcakes from the pan.
- Continue to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
To make frosting:
- Mix together butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla and caramel sauce until thoroughly mixed.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at a low speed until well combined.
After cupcakes are cool, spread frosting on top of cupcakes. Drizzle more Caramel Sauce and place Ghirardelli Caramel Squares on top.