4 ounces 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon +1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, divided
1 nine-inch graham cracker crust
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon rum or brandy
- In bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks.
- In saucepan, heat milk with 1 tablespoon of the espresso powder to just under a simmer, whisk into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour back into saucepan; cook, whisking constantly, until thick. Add chocolate; whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour into crust and press plastic wrap onto surface of filling; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until set.
- Just before serving, whisk cream with confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and remaining 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder until soft peaks form.
- Cut pie into 8 slices; top each slice with a dollop of the whipped cream. (If you prefer, mound the whipped cream on top of the pie and spread it with a spatula before cutting.)