- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 bag (10 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 3 tablespoons Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two muffin pans with paper liners; set aside.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed for one minute.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts alternating with the liquids; beat until combined after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cups so that each is two thirds full. Bake rotating halfway until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler; stir occasionally until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa and boiling water. Let both the chocolate and the cocoa mixture cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate on low speed, and then beat in the cocoa mixture.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Let frosting set for five minutes.
- Decorate the cupcakes by placing a Ghirardelli Chocolate Square on top of the frosting.