Ghirardelli Semisweet Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 bars (8 ounces) Ghirardelli Semisweet Chocolate Baking Bars
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup and 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2/3 cup broken walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the upper and lower thirds.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a large knife to cut one and a half of the bars (12 squares) into one-fourth inch chunks; set the chunks and smaller bits aside separately.
- Break the remaining 1/2 bar (4 squares) of chocolate roughly and put the pieces in medium heatproof bowl (preferably stainless steel) and set it directly in a wide skillet of almost simmering water. Add the butter and bits of chocolate left from chunks.
- Stir the chocolate and butter until they are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the skillet and stir in the white and brown sugars, salt, baking soda, and vanilla
- Add the egg and stir briskly until well blended.
- Add all of the flour and stir just until it is entirely blended (extra beating or stirring makes tough cookies!)âthe dough will be stiff.
- If dough is even slightly warm, let it cool for a few minutes before stirring in the nuts and reserved chocolate chunks.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie and place them 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes, until cookies are puffed and cracked. Rotate the sheets from upper to lower and back to front half way through the baking time.
- Set pans on racks to cool.