Ghirardelli Mini Chocolate Chip Cakes
Mini Chocolate Chip Cakes
3/4 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
2 1/2 cups cake flour (see note below)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, melted and slightly cooled
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, divided
5 Tbsp heavy cream
Notes: To make your own cake flour: For every 1 cup of cake flour, place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with all-purpose flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12 x 17-inch rimmed baking pan with nonstick spray and line the pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture). Toss chocolate chips with reserved flour mixture and gently fold in.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, until the top and edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, chill the cake for 20 minutes in the refrigerator. Carefully lift the parchment to remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Use a 2 1/2 inch round cutter lightly coated with nonstick spray to punch out 24 circles.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add sifted cocoa, beating until incorporated. Mix in vanilla. Mix in 2 cups powdered sugar on low speed, scraping down bowl as needed. Mix in melted chocolate chips until combined, then mix in remaining 2 cups powdered sugar. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add heavy cream until combined. Beat frosting on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until light and airy.
- To assemble the cakes, transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large closed or open star tip. Pipe frosting over each round (both layers). Stack one frosted round over the other.
Photo and Recipe credit: Laura with Tutti Dolci
Assorted Chocolate Bag of SQUARES for Gifts 80 pc