1-1⁄2 cup all purpose flour
1⁄4 cup Ghirardelli® Unsweetened Cocoa
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces (1 cup) Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips, melted & cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cookies, Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and mix until just combined. Pour in the flour mixture and mix on low until combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove from the refrigerator and roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 2-1/2-inch circles with a cookie cutter or drinking glass, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet 1-inch apart. Combine scraps and reroll dough, refrigerating if the dough gets too soft to work with. Refrigerate cut out cookies for 20 minutes until firm.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until dry and fragrant. Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine confectioners sugar and butter; beat until fluffy. Add chocolate and vanilla extract; mix until combined. Spread about 1 tablespoon of filling between 2 cooled cookies to make a mini sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Prep: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes