Chocolate Tweed Torte
10 ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1 cup almonds
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
8 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in lower third. Grease sides and line bottom of 9-inch spring form pan with parchment.
- In a food processor, pulse chocolate, nuts, salt, orange zest and 2 Tbsp of sugar to consistency of crumbs. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until it holds a soft shape. Gradually beat in ½ cup sugar until eggs whites are glossy and stiff but not dry. Transfer to larger bowl. Fold in chocolate mixture.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until torte is puffed and golden and springs back when gently pressed, 25-30 minutes: toothpick inserted in center will emerge moist and stained melted chocolate, but not thickly coated with batter.
- Cool on rack. Remove pan sides. Invert and remove pan liner.
- Serve right side up garnished with whipped cream and berries. *1 cup cream with 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2-3 tsp sugar