Chocolate Graham Crackers
2 cups (254 grams) all-purpose flour1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (50 grams) whole wheat flour1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon fine salt1/2 cup (43 grams) Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder7 tablespoons (99 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces3/4 cup (150 grams) dark brown sugar2 tablespoons honey1 teaspoon vanilla extract3/4 cup milkGranulated sugar, for sprinkling on top
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flours, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder until combined. Add the butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. You can also do this with a pastry blender.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, and milk. Pour into the flour mixture and pulse until it just comes together in a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide the dough in half. Place each half between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an 1/8-inch thick rectangle. Cut the dough into squares. Use the tines of a fork or a skewer to lightly imprint rows of dotted lines into the squares. Gently peel the squares off the parchment and place onto a clean parchment-lined baking sheet.
- If the dough becomes too soft while shaping, place on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge or freezer until firm.
- When ready to bake, sprinkle the squares with granulated sugar, lightly pressing in to adhere.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until fragrant and just dry at the edges. Place the crackers on cooling racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Photo and Recipe credit: HandleTheHeat.com