Coconut Almond Torte with Chocolate Chips
10 to 12 Servings
1 1/3 cups Ghirardelli Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1 1/4 cups whole almonds
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
8 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoon(s) sugar, or more to taste
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan. In a food processor, pulse the almonds, salt, and 1/4 cup of the sugar to the consistency of crumbs. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tarter at high speed until they hold a soft shape. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until eggs whites are stiff but not dry. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in the almond mixture.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the torte. Fold the remaining chocolate chips and the coconut into the batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with the reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the torte is puffed and golden, and the edges are starting to shrink from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on a rack. To serve, whip cream with vanilla and sugar. Remove the sides of the pan and transfer the cake to a serving platter.
- Serve torte slices with whipped cream and ripe berries, if desired.