Classic White Crème Brûlée
4 ounces Ghirardelli Classic White Chocolate Baking Bar
4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F. In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until smooth.
- In 2-quart saucepan, bring whipping cream to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add white chocolate (chopped in small pieces) to simmering whipping cream.
- Turn off heat and whisk until white chocolate is melted. Add white chocolate mixture to egg yolk mixture one tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously to prevent eggs from scrambling. Whisk until smooth.
- Add vanilla. Pour into four ramekins or custard cups.
- Place cups in 13" x 9" baking pan or broiler pan. Add enough water so cups sit in 1 to 1 1/2 inch of water.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight.
- For a delicious crunchy surface: Sprinkle the tops of the crème brûlée with 1 teaspoon of sugar and place under broiler until caramelized.