Makes 12 mini sandwiches
Prep: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup Ghirardelli® Unsweetened Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces (1 cup) Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips, melted & cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For the cookies, Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, Ghirardelli® Unsweetened Baking Cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and mix until just combined. Pour in the flour mixture and mix on low until combined.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove from the refrigerator and roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 2-1/2-inch circles with a cookie cutter or drinking glass, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet 1-inch apart. Combine scraps and reroll dough, refrigerating if the dough gets too soft to work with. Refrigerate cut out cookies for 20 minutes until firm.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until dry and fragrant. Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack.
5. For the filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine confectioners sugar and butter; beat until fluffy. Add chocolate and vanilla extract; mix until combined. Spread about 1 tablespoon of filling between 2 cooled cookies to make a mini sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.