Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Mousse
1 11-ounce bag Ghirardelli® Classic White Baking Chips
1 cup whipping cream
3 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut up
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons red food coloring
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup buttermilk
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- For white mousse, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine Ghirardelli® Classic White Baking Chips, whipping cream, and cream cheese. Cook on medium power (50 percent) for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds. If chocolate is not melted, return to microwave and repeat heating step, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid scorching. Stir until smooth. Cover and chill for 3 hours or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line eighteen 1-1/4-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- For batter, in a small bowl, stir together flour, Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat softened butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar; beat on medium speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, food coloring, and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar; stir into batter.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from cups and cool completely on a wire rack.*
- When cupcakes are cool, beat white mousse with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Spoon mixture either into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, or spoon into a large self-sealing plastic bag and snip off the corner.
- Insert pastry bag into top of each cupcake; squeeze as much filling into center of each as possible (you will see top of cupcake start to expand). Pipe a small amount of mousse mixture onto the top of each cake. (If using a plastic bag without a pastry tip, cut a slit into the top of each cupcake before squeezing in filling.) Enjoy immediately or chill in an airtight container for up to 4 hours.
*Make-Ahead Tip: Unfilled cupcakes can be made up to 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. To serve, fill as directed above.
Prep: 30 minutes
Chill: 3 hours
Bake: 12 minutes