Production Unit Manager
Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Director of Production
Full-time | Exempt
The Unit Manager –Production (UMP) is an important link in the Ghirardelli Supply Chain. The UMP has daily responsibility to coordinate and facilitate daily production resources to meet the cost, quality and delivery expectations over a three-shift operation, covering a designated area of production responsibilities. This position is additionally responsible for teambuilding, setting expectations and holding employees at all levels accountable. The UMP will Plan, coordinate, and prioritize production activities with scheduling requirements. The UMP is a key driver of continuous improvement projects and line performance in Bindler 08, Bindler 05 and Bindler 99. The UMP position will share equal responsibilities with production, QA, Engineering and Maintenance departments to continually increase the knowledge base of the team which is supported and led. The UMP will have 8 salaried direct reports and be responsible for setting direction and developing them.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending developing, implementing and managing safety, quality and food safety on all product lines.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Monitor crewing of lines according to standards provided by the Director of Production.
- Review monthly labor variances and develop action plan to reduce labor costs.
- Conduct periodic line audits to ensure proper equipment operating conditions and capabilities within standards.
- Review performance of lines regularly with supervisors.
- Develop actions to increase the efficiencies of operational changeovers of the lines.
- Monitor rework and waste levels on the lines and help develop programs to reduce them.
- Eliminate lost time accidents in all departments respectively.
- Maintain safety procedures when working with equipment and machinery.
- Conduct periodic safety audits.
- Conduct weekly departmental safety meetings.
- Participate in long-term capital planning in area of responsibility.
- Control production department budgets in respective areas of responsibility.
- Ensure that all employees are following Ghirardelli’s GMP rules.
- Ensures that sanitation and housekeeping of assigned areas meet Ghirardelli standards as well as regulatory requirements. Driver of continuous improvement in sanitation in the department of responsibility.
- Hold employees accountable for the quality of product. Ensure all designated quality checks are performed at the desired frequency. Review quality issues and define action steps to prevent the errors from happening again.
- Responsible to maintain and improve existing HACCP, GMP, BMP, Master Sanitation, weight control and other quality programs.
- Responsible to ensure quality holds get worked off in a timely manner and provide appropriate corrective action to prevent reoccurrence holding employees at all levels accountable for all substandard work performed.
- Responsible of reporting of any quality problems with machinery, raw or packaging material to the appropriate functions in the company. Help defining actions to eliminate problems.
- Ensure that production plan is followed and that the correct SKU at the right quantity is produced.
- Responsible for material flow and material usage in the assigned area. Report any deviation of quantities or lot numbers on work orders to planning department.
- Report achievements and actual material usage into the integrated system (JDEdwards). Inform the planning department about potential bottlenecks and underachievement.
- Effectively and promptly communicate all quality, safety, labor and production issues to the Director of Production.
- Effectively communicate across the organization, including Production, Warehouse, Planning, Human Resources and other departments as required
- Assist the operations teams in meeting / exceeding production goals by increasing machinery efficiency.
- Maintains all operating equipment in satisfactory condition. Schedules needed repair to have minimum interference.
- Consults with other departments regarding desirable modifications of existing equipment and facilities and the possible replacement of existing equipment, which will improve operations and reduce maintenance costs.
- Analyzes cost studies of proposals for new facilities and equipment in the department designed to secure reduced operating costs. Makes recommendations thereon to the Director of Production.
- Fosters and promotes a culture of teamwork between all plant departments
- Foster a safe working environment promoting processes and procedures
- Enforce and coach on all GCC safety rules and issue disciplinary actions when applicable.
- Participate in the Safety Committee- be familiar with State and Federal Safety Requirements.
- Shows strong leadership in promoting safety processes and procedures; effectively communicates and trains employees and be proactive in preventing accidents and injuries
- Oversee the motivation of all plant employees by recognizing positive achievements with regard to attitude; work quality, safe practices, attendance, follow-through and organization.
- Oversee the execution of training programs as needed.
- Leadership, coaching and development of direct report salaried production supervisors.
- Ensure proper training for team leaders, operators according to training program. Oversee proper training to ensure the level of operators and maintenance technicians are at GCC standards and inform management of training needs. Ensure that the plant headcount Matrix is always accurate.
- Work closely together with Human Resources department to guarantee that all labor issues are addressed in a timely manner and according to the union contract.
- Participate and drive resolution with grievance meetings, contract negotiations, mediation and arbitration as needed.
Technical Support and Continuous Improvement
- Key driver of continuous improvement projects in area. Work closely with QA, Scheduling , Maintenance, R&D and Engineering
- Analyze chocolate production processes and provide methods for solving problems to ensure improved manufacturing capability.
- Directly responsible of supporting packaging and processing product trials in designated area.
- Support Engineering Department when new processes and machinery are designed, built, installed and trained for. Meet with Engineering on all new design reviews for installations and upgrades to meet the following:
- Review design of new equipment.
Regular and prompt attendance required*
May include other projects or tasks, as assigned.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Deductive reasoning, strong analytical and problem solving skills*
- Ability to direct and lead direct reports with strong skills in leading and organizing people*
- Excellent organizational skills*
- Ability to set expectations and hold employees accountable*
- Ability to set priorities and to be self-disciplined and consistent*
- Good written and oral communications skills*
- Ability to develop and implement action steps and follow through with the people responsible for them*
- Ability to work effectively in a union environment and gain knowledge of the Union Contract*
- Good knowledge of food processing and packaging machinery*
- Computer literacy in MS Office, Kronos and integrated system (JDEdwards) and AMMS*
Education & Work Experience
- BA degree in Engineering/Food Science, Mechanical, Civil, or Electrical and 6 to 8 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Unionized manufacturing environment
- Potential for very warm or very cold working environment/depending on area of assignment.
- Interfacing with various manufacturing equipment and office computer equipment
- Regular communication with direct reports and internal and/or external customers
- Occasional travel for meeting/training