Product & Process Engineer
Research & Development
Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Technical Services Manager
Full-time | Exempt
This position supports the Technical Services Manager by providing technical assistance, troubleshooting, guidance, and innovation to the manufacturing processes of Ghirardelli. The position identifies, implements, and improves processes that will enhance efficiency, quality and profitability. It also provides process-engineering support to commercialize and optimize both new and improved formulations and products.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing and managing safety, quality and food safety on all product lines.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Optimize process parameters to insure optimal quality, throughput and profitability.
- Support trials and first runs for new products and processes.
- Drive waste reduction.
- Monitor recipe adherence.
- Support the commercialization and scale up of new products.
- Work independently with a minimum of guidance to meet the company objectives.
- Lead and conduct trials for new processes and process improvements.
- Support Operations with machine and process troubleshooting.
- Create and improve process documentation and compliance policies.
- Maintain inventory of temper meters and troubleshooting tools in good repair and calibration.
- Work with Operations, R&D, Marketing, Engineering, Finance, Maintenance & Industrial Engineering as a technical resource.
- Maintain and gain industry knowledge base to support innovation and quality at GCC by reviewing trade journals, participating in professional organizations, attending trade shows, seminars and continuing technical education.
- Lead process improvements through use of statistical analysis and modeling.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Strong technical knowledge of industrial food processing functions and concepts. Chocolate processing (Bean to Bar) highly beneficial.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concepts and procedures to all levels within the organization; from the factory floor to senior management.
- Ability to set department priorities, work independently and work effectively in a team environment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong Project Management skills and the ability to handle multiple, fast paced projects.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Strong mathematical, statistical and analytical abilities.
- Computer literacy in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Access, SharePoint) and Minitab (or similar process control/statistical software).
Education & Work Experience
- BS Degree in Food Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Three to Five years experience in food processing or process engineering
- Occasional to constant repetitive fine manipulation (keyboarding, ten key, writing)
- Brief to extended periods in hot, cold, noisy, dusty & slippery environments
- Rare to occasional simple grasping
- Rare to occasional ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Occasional maneuvering on and around heavy equipment
- Occasional to constant sitting
- Frequent navigation of ladders and stairs
- Rare to frequent walking
- Occasional twisting of the neck and waist
- Rare to occasional reaching at, above or below the shoulder level
- Ability to travel to various locations domestically and internationally or local travel for business purposes
- Occasional to frequent usage of verbal communication equipment (telephone, cellular)